Monday, April 1, 2019

Smith Family - A Wintry Day in Georgia #georgiapioneers #genealogy

A Wintry Day in Georgia

Genealogy Tips by Jeannette Holland Austin

Genealogy Books by Jeannette Holland AustinSometimes the best information can be found in old cemeteries during winter. That is because the weeds are dried up thus making the stones more visible. This is a good time to search around for old sunken graves, and depressions in the soil. One February as the cold wind blew against my back, I examined the tombstones in the Davis Smith Cemetery at Brent, Georgia. I had visited there rather often, however, this time my eye caught sight of a sunken concrete slab. Turns out that the name and dates were quite visible, despite the fact that I had to scoop out some dirt. Turns out this was Jeremiah Smith, born 1795, brother of Davis Smith! This extra information helped me to locate the parents, and finally grandparents! . . . more . . .



Index to Georgia Wills and Estates

SPECIAL GENEALOGY OPPORTUNITY NOW for yourself and friends! $7 (auto expires after 1-month)
Try it out now to see if you can find your ancestors

Online Genealogy