Monday, October 1, 2018

There were Two Women with the Same Name #georgiapioneerscom #gagenealogy

There were Two Margaret Hollands

spinsterThere were two Margaret Hollands in my lineage; one born in 1790 and the other one born in 1792 (according to census records). Because of the homes of certain family members, it occurred to me that this might be the same person. In fact, I was convinced of it until I went year-by-year in each census record and continued to see two separate entries. Actually, one was a widow and the other a spinster sister in the neighborhood. Now the problem was proving that the spinster residing alone in the same neighborhood was the sister of another family member near-age. As I continued the effort, I discovered tidbits of other information which helped to prove the relationship. The county records contained names of witnesses to deeds who were also purchasers from estate sales. In other words, the introduction of one fact usually establishes the need to clarify another situation. Such clues become invaluable over ti



Index to Georgia Wills-See Names of your Ancestors

Online Genealogy